Thursday, June 18, 2009

Network vs Neighborhoods: Part 2

Starbucks was created with the intention of becoming "the third place". This is a term made common by many sociologist circles, which says people commonly exist at home and work, and we all need a third place where we escape and socialize for socialization's sake. A place where we have more informal public existence! Most non-American cultures have some third place as a common staple to their culture.

There are a variety of reasons these third places are so attractive and beneficial. One of which is their ability to equalize, to level, to bring together those who would not normally do so.

This speaks to a tendency our culture does have toward networks rather than neighborhoods. Neighborhoods are increasingly exclusive, and on a very small level networks have the potential not to be so exclusive.

Of course, by "network", I mean those realms and places we exist most outside of home and work (coffee shops, bars, cafes, etc.)...these are our "third places". Some of these places (far from all) are places exempt of pretense and comparisons. They are havens from the divisions we place on ourselves outside of them.

At this moment, I am at my coffee shop and I see a doctor working next to a dirty hipster, who is next to a man with ragged clothes and an unkempt beard. Its like a living timeline of American success or importance on one couch. This is the allure of our networks.

If even for a matter of moments, status is put on hold and comparisons at an impasse.

For those literate to Christian lingo, this is fellowship.

These networks are where the mighty descend and the lowly rise. That leveled-out place is a stress killer for everyone.

-------------------

LISTENING TO: "The End Is Not The End" by House of Heroes

2 comments:

Jessica Nau said...

I really like this idea and description of a "third place." I've never heard that term before or concept, but it resonates in me.

Yesterday, my phone died as I was supposed to meet some friends in a parking lot at an unfamiliar location in Elk Grove.

I walked into a Jamba Juice to ask if I can use their phone to call my friends. Jamba means celebration in some other language - jamacan? or African... not sure.
As I walked up to the door, I saw three unusually dressed women sitting outside. I wondered if there was an event happening inside and whether they had a larger group of family or friends with them. After I made my phone call, I returned to the outside patio to sit in a chair near 3 or 4 deserted tables. I glanced across at the 3 unusually dressed figures and thought maybe they were muslim? Maybe from Africa or the Middle East? I had this desire to sit with them and enjoy campanionship in a public place (third place, maybe).
They were silent, so I asked them if I should join them, because I wanted to, and they motioned me to come over.

They all spoke French, and other African languages. Two were from East & West AFrica, and one was from Australia.

I sat with them as I waited for my friends, and was able to have a quaint connection with them; not necessarily ABOUT religion, or Jesus; but our connection was nice and I experience the joy of God within me as I am delighting in other people.

You wrote, "for those literate to Christian lingo, this is fellowship." THIS - refering to putting a hold of comparisons and status?

What do you think about fellowship with common faith people - compared to fellowship with those who have different beliefs?
Is it still called the same thing?
Is there a vast difference in the depth of fellowship? or is fellowship refering to a "third place" connection with other humans?
What was Jesus' third place? Or is that concept not relevent to the culture and time of Jesus?

Just some thoughts.
Thanks for writing that - I liked it.

PC said...

Jessica, thank you for your comments.

First of all, when I said, "this is fellowship", I meant that this is one element of fellowship, as fellowship entails a great deal. I WAS primarily referencing, for this specific post, that fellowship has a lot to do with being that place (or realm) where the mighty descend and the lowly rise to meet in the middle.

I would say that true BIBLICAL fellowship could not happen with those of two different faiths, as true Biblical fellowship (or "koinonia") has a commonality in Christ.

Now of course, if we allowed "fellowship" to be only a term, aside from the technicalities of its root, it is possible with inter-faith connections.

The "third place", setting aside the term fellowship completely, is absolutely possible for those of different faith backgrounds.

To be honest, I think Jesus lived a majority of his life in the third place. If the 'first' and 'second' place are home (which even the son of man had no place to lay his head) and work (where exactly did Jesus "work"?), he is left to live his life in the third place.

What do you think?