Thursday, April 2, 2009

Too Much Too Little

My time in Scripture this morning has been quite rich and yet poor. It has been quite telling of my heart and a challenge, once again, to my way of living. Here are a few notes from my time.

EXODOUS 35:4-29
Everyone's heart who was willing, gave. There is a question of my heart and my WILLINGNESS to give of my plenty and my skills and talents. The question is less about whether I will DO it and more about whether my HEART actually desires to.

2 CORINTHIANS 8:1-15
This may be the strongest point at which my heart was truly stricken. There is a great focus on generosity, but I cannot get past verses 13-15:

"but it is a question of a fair balance between your present abundance and their need, so that their abundance may be for your need, in order that there may be fair balance. As it is written, 'The one who had much did not have too much, and the one who had little did not have too little."

I cannot argue with the bluntness of scripture here as it relates to my considerable plenty compared to the poverty of the world. It is also a personal affront to how I spend my money. What am I wearing, and where does it come from? Is it made and traded in fair ways or in ways which more than demean but actually oppress the poor? What about the coffee I drink? The money I spend reflects my value or devalue of the poor and of God's command on my heart.

"The one with much did not have too much, and the one with little did not have too little."

PHILIPPIANS 4:10-23
vs 11-12: "Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little and I know what it is to have plenty."

As a child of single mom who had to live and raise her boys for a portion of life with food stamps and welfare, I also know what it is to have little, and I know what it is now to have plenty, but the question really is, "Have I LEARNED to be content in WHATEVER I have?"



LISTENING TO: "Hold Time" by M. Ward

No comments: